Thursday, April 4, 2013

Dr. Oz 3-day Detox Cleanse, from my point of view

We spent last week at the Oregon coast. Games were played, walks on the beach, movie watching, a beach bonfire, ball throwing sessions for doggies, and a trip to the Oregon Coast Aquarium... and lots of eating. What is it about the ocean air that makes us want to eat, eat, and eat some more? The sun went down, it must be time for ice cream and cookies. Never mind the fact that I’d already consumed too many M&M’s to count, Guinness, and a large mango smoothie topped with whipped cream earlier in the day. Not to mention the breakfast, lunch and dinner we consumed in-between snacks.

4113GC-101

Time to cleanse! I’ve never participated in anything like this before, but then I have not been the age I am now, with a brand new tendency to collect a few extra pounds around my mid section.

Recently, a friend told me about her 25 pound weight loss through a Dr. Oz diet that begins with a 3-day smoothie based cleanse. The initial cleanse claims to reboot your system and balance hormones. Sounds promising. I like the fact that everything can be found at a local grocery store, and it’s all recognizable, healthy, simple food. 

Just to be clear, I am volunteering to do this Dr. Oz developed cleanse, but I am not affiliated with him, or anyone representing his ideas in any way. I brought this challenge on completely unaided. This cleanse was developed several months ago, and many people have done it and survived, maybe even thrived, I don’t know. All I know is that I really like the idea of eating super healthy for a few days.




4213OZ-131


Day 1: I got up extra early to create the breakfast concoction that would kick start my Monday. While sipping a hot green tea with lemon, I dropped ingredients into the blender one by one... Raspberries, banana, spinach, almond butter, lemon juice, flax seed, and cold water. Yum! This made one full glass of goodness. Just before I finished it, I took a multivitamin with the final sip and followed that with about three ounces of a strawberry flavored probiotic supplement yogurt-like drink. So far, so good!

At 11:30 I started making my lunch. I’ve never met a vegetable I didn’t like, but that was before I met celery and cucumber blended together. I peeled the cucumber and removed the seeds, peeled the skin off the apple and removed the core. Chopped up four celery stalks. Cut up a whole pineapple, removed the core, cut it into chunks, and placed the remainder in the freezer. It took me exactly two hours to choke this smoothie down. This made two large glasses full (or about 4 cups), which was a glass and a half too much. This green concoction was followed by another multivitamin and an Omego 3 supplement.

I chose the breakfast smoothie as my snack, since it was by far the best out of two. By 5:30 I was starving, but I managed to put off drinking the dinner smoothie until around 7pm. So far, the dinner drink was my favorite. The combination of mango, blueberries, avocado, kale, coconut water, and a bit of spice from the cayenne, was good.

I ended the day with a luxurious 30+ minute extra hot Epsom salt and lavender oil bath... ahhhhhhhh.

4213OZ-110
BREAKFAST

4113GC-112
LUNCH

4213OZ-135
DINNER
Day 2: I woke up with a slight headache, but that quickly disappeared after a cup of green tea with a slice of lemon. I’m feeling less hungry than I did yesterday and much more energetic. And, guess what? I lost 4 pounds!! Seriously! Probably just fluids, or my scale is wonky, but I’m psyched and motivated to continue.

After I consumed the morning smoothie, vitamin and probiotic, I got to work putting together the lunch smoothie. It’s so large, and my least favorite, so I wanted to take a little of it with me to drink on the way to yoga. I figured this would give me a head start on tackling this green monster, which consists of more chewing than drinking. Note: Keeping it as cold as possible helps a lot.

I doubled the recipe for the dinner smoothie and drank half of it for the snack portion and the other half for dinner. I’m really craving real food, but I’m sure I can handle one more day of this. I had to make a trip to the grocery store tonight for a few more ingredients I’m running short on. That was torture. When did grocery stores start with all the samples?

Day 3: I had a slight headache in the morning again, but I guess that’s to be expected since I haven’t had any caffeine since Sunday. After drinking a cup of green tea on my morning commute, the headache magically disappeared. I drank the morning drink on the way to a meeting. I’m starting to get used to this to-go food in a cup.

By lunchtime I was starving, but not looking forward to having that green drink. Much to my surprise, it actually tasted decent today. I’m not sure why, there was no difference between today’s lunch drink and yesterday’s or the day before that, but the flavors tasted better. Acquired taste? This reminds me of when I was in my 20’s and wanted to be able to order a simple drink in a bar. I forced myself to like gin so I could order a dry martini up with two olives. Ha! I felt so grown up. Now I’ve taken another maturation step and acquired a taste for celery and cucumber!

The dinner drink was again fabulous, but left me wanting hot, chewable food. I was really looking forward to morning, planning my breakfast of a farm fresh egg and... coffee.


Thoughts and tips:

• Buy the best fruits and veggies you can afford. I purchased everything at my local New Seasons. They were very helpful with the vitamins and supplements I needed too. Everything I used was fresh, locally grown and organic, which makes a difference for me psychologically as I’m consuming it. It’s so comforting to know you’re putting only good things in your body.

• I am a protein addict. I don’t feel right unless I have regular protein based foods, but I never felt deprived during the 3-day cleanse. Each drink has some form of protein in it. I never thought one tablespoon of almond butter would be enough protein for breakfast, but it seemed to be fine.

• Keep the drinks cold. It really helps to have at least one item in each drink that’s frozen when you put it in the blender. I purchased fresh frozen blueberries, which added a lot of sweetness to the evening drink. After cutting up a whole pineapple, I froze the chunks in a sealed container. The raspberries I used were already in my freezer from our last crop. Keeping these drinks ice cold helps their palatability immensely.

• Drink plenty of water throughout the day. This will help keep you hydrated and keep things moving along.

• Stay close to a bathroom. Make sure you are relatively close to a bathroom the whole time you’re on this cleanse. All that liquid has to come out, not to mention how these fiber-filled smoothies clean out your colon.

• You don’t need an expensive blender to make these drinks. The glass container on our old 15-year blender broke a month ago, so we borrowed an inexpensive one from my Mom. It worked fine.

• Coconut oil and almond butter. The benefits of these fats are astounding, and they became my friends during the cleanse. But remember, these are good in moderation, because they are some of the only sources of protein you’re consuming during the cleanse. Don’t go adding these in large quantities to your existing diet, they’ll definitely make you pack on pounds.

• Remove the peeling, or not. The recipes don’t say anything about whether certain fruits and vegetables should be peeled. I did peel the apple, cucumber, and lime, but I suppose if you’re feeling adventurous you could leave them intact. I find those parts too bitter and tough for my taste.

• My cravings have been curbed. Now that I’ve completed the cleanse, my cravings for anything remotely unhealthy have been eliminated.

• Questions? You can ask me anything about the cleanse you want. I might even know the answer.

Enjoy the cleanse! I’m going to go chew on something now.


10 comments:

Laurie Chase Kruczek said...

Wonderful for you to do this for your health, Cindy. It is so hard to commit to changing how we eat (even for one day) when it is really for our own good. Congrats on making it through all three days! Do you feel good now?

Cindy said...

Thanks Laurie! I feel great today, but I'm still being cautious about what I eat. Best part is, I have no cravings for sweets or carbs. I even ate a celery stalk for a snack just because it sounded good. Go figure!

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

I have heard a lot about this cleanse but am not convinced it is something I want to do (although I probably should). Maybe I just know I would never make it through the whole 3 days. Happy it was a good experience for you, Cindy. I know what you mean about the beach - I smell the air and crave seafood...and donuts.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to invite you again to the CookEatShare Author Network. I don’t want the over 1 million unique monthly visitors to CookEatShare.com to miss out on your wonderful food.

By joining our Author Network, your blog posts will be indexed and users will be guided to your actual blog when searching your recipes or profile.

The service is free and easy to sign up for. Simply visit www.cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply or contact me at Kyra@cookeatshare.com. You'll get a unique link to claim and customize your profile. We look forward having you in our network!

Liz said...

I'm in the middle of Day 1 on this cleanse. I wasn't excited about the breakfast shake but managed to get it down. Saying the lunch shake is awful is an understatement! It took me 2 hours to get 2/3 done and I called lunch quits. All the reviews I read talked about how full you feel so I didn't plan a snack shake while at work, so I'm going to drink some tea in a few minutes. I have about 2-3 hours before I can have dinner... poor planning on my part because I'm hungry. I'm tempted to eat everything at lunch tomorrow separate (even the coconut oil) so this should be more manageable plus I can have a little crunch and chew...

Cindy said...

Hang in there Liz! I'm cheering you on! By day three, maybe you too will enjoy that lunch shake ; ) I found that keeping it super cold, blending it really well, and drinking it through a straw made it so much better. I'm not sure I could eat all that separately... let me know how that goes. -Cindy

Liz said...

Well I did it! I finished the full 3 days with no cheating and I lost 7 pounds! I feel so good physically and mentally! I made myself a shake for breakfast with a few modifications and got to have coffee again! I'm going to have some protein at lunch and a little dairy today. I'm not sure if I'll have any carbs today, I'll probably ease into carbs tomorrow. Hoping to keep most of the weight off because I'd like to lose a total of 15 pounds and this was a great kickstart! If you are considering this diet for a boost to some weight loss or to get ready for a special event, DO IT!

Cindy said...

Yeah Liz! That's fantastic! It definitely makes you think about what you put in your body after all that healthy eating, doesn't it?

Unknown said...

Hi Cindy! Excellent tips, i've just tried this detox last month and worked perfectly for me! i started weighing 150 pounds and by the end of 3rd day i was 141 pounds.. and felt great since..
I was just wondering if you could make this a one time a month cleanse??

MS Silva said...

Have a look, we need to reduce our weight as well. So we need to obey daily work chart.
If you need any tips or info abut it, you can find them this 3 Day Military Diet Shopping site.
Thank you