Tuesday, April 20, 2010

PW came to P-town

Iz and I went to see Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman, at Powell’s last night. I’ve seen images from her book signings of rooms at capacity, but for some reason I was still shocked by the number of people in attendance. We arrived right on time at 5:45 pm. Ree was due to arrive at 6pm. Wow were we ever late! Tickets were given out to those waiting in a long line at 4:30, and something like 400 tickets were given out by 5 pm. After that, it was fend for yourself. Obviously, we were in the fend for yourself group.

41910PW-2

We didn’t let this put the kibosh on our plans though. We excused ourselves through the crowd of sometimes not so friendly women to get to a spot where we could get a view of the woman behind the blog I’d read every day for the last year.

An announcement came at 6:05 saying that Ree’s Jag had broken down and she would be helicoptered down soon. Hahaha! About ten minutes later, a flustered, tall, redheaded woman in jeans and boots rushed in telling us how her GPS led her to take a wrong turn on Cedar Hills Road... or byway... or lane... or boulevard. Somehow I was picturing Ree, her MIL and daughter being driven here in a limo. She actually drove herself? Did she search for parking in the crowded Powell’s lot just like the rest of us?

41910PW-1

41910PW-13

Ree answered questions from the audience, did her famous Ethel Merman imitation, then got down to business signing all those cookbooks some 500 women had clutched in their hands. After we heard her talk, and snapped a few photos, Iz and I left in search of a sushi restaurant. We ate, shopped in several nearby stores and swung back by Powell’s to see if the crowd had thinned. Nope. Ree was signing books from ticket number 90. It was going to be a long night. Off we went to do some grocery shopping. I told Iz I was a bit disappointed that I wasn’t able to get my books signed and have my photo taken with the Pioneer Woman. My insightful daughter said, “I’m sure it’s not the most amazing thing you’ll do in your life.” Thanks for putting things in perspective for me. She does her best to keep me centered. I’m still bummed. I do possess two “The Pioneer Woman Cooks” cookbooks though.

I found myself contemplating what makes this woman idealized by so many women. Is it because she appears to live a perfect life that reads like a romance novel? She is, in fact writing her life story and the movie rights have already been purchased. When asked who does she want to play her, she said “Reese Witherspoon has expressed an interest.” Ree... Reese. She went on to point out that’s as far as similarities go. Ree is a tall 5'9" redhead. Reese, “blonde, petite, and narrow.” When asked who she wants to play Marlboro Man, she said she’s not telling.

Ree is as charming and likable in real life as she appears to be on her blog. I want to hate her because she seems to have it all. But I can’t.

This is Ree’s daughter. She’s 12. It’s always good for Iz to see a fellow tall 12 year old. Especially one who seems proud of her height. She’s very poised. Too bad she and Iz didn’t get to meet.

41910PW-16

4 comments:

Clayvessel said...

Found your blog looking at those by others attending the Powell's event. I LOVE the food photos on your sidebar. Beautiful! Especially the pies. What a wonderful baker you must be!

Susan said...

Wowee zowee! So near and yet so far! You got some great pictures though. Don't you think she looks a little like Bonnie Raitt (before the gray streak)? I don't know that Reese would be the right choice for the movie. She'd have to tone down the perkiness a couple of notches, and get more earthy, methinks.

I love Isabel's observation. I think you've already surpassed amazing without PW's help. :)

jazgal said...

Now, I am totally out of the loop on this phenomenon, but clearly I need to look into her cook books! what a following!
God bless Iz for her well-tempered insights - you know you are doing something right. It is refreshing when our children can keep us sane and grounded!

Ree certainly has a presence, and her daughter looks grounded too.

Now to check this out online :)

Cathy said...

Despite not getting your book signed it sounds like you and your daughter had a good time. That was quite a turn out.