Wednesday, June 9, 2010

easy, delicious blackberry cobbler

blueberry pie

On cool, rainy spring days, when the berries appear at the local farmer’s markets, I love to bake pies. It’s one of my favorite things to do. I love to bake pies more than almost anything. Almost anything.

More than that root canal I had last week for instance. The one where I had my mouth open so big and wide for an hour and a half that when it was over I tried to talk and couldn’t. I couldn’t talk because I was not able to bring my top and lower jaws together. My mouth was stuck open! I panicked, but fortunately the dentist did not. He massaged my jaw awhile, which brought tears to my eyes, and then I heard a loud crack and all was right with the world again.

I even like baking pies more than going to my new chiropractor. I’m having neck and shoulder pain from all the computer work I do. That computer work... combined with blogging, facebooking, online shopping... has taken its toll on the connective soft tissues in my neck and shoulders. I’m sure it also contributes to creating soft areas on my body that shouldn’t be soft. I never knew my neck could make such interesting noises. More loud cracking sounds. That was amazing! He also showed me a few exercises to do, and told me that it’s essential to take a short break every 20 minutes. My thought was, “I won’t get anything done.” Actually, a quick 10-15 second walk around my office and a change in position isn’t as hard as it initially sounded.

Which brings me to why I haven’t had a lot of time for pie baking on these cool, rainy spring days. So, when I found this blackberry cobbler recipe on The Pioneer Woman’s site, I whipped it up pronto.

6910BC-2

Fresh, local blackberries were $8 for a teeny tiny container at my local grocery store, so I picked up some fresh, local frozen blackberries.

6910BC-5

Melted some butter

6910BC-7

Poured in some sugar

6910BC-10

Found some of this self-rising flour in the back of my cupboard

6910BC-18

Whisked together all these ingredients along with some milk. Poured that mixture into this pie dish. Sprinkled more sugar on top. Put it in the oven and waited for an hour.

6910BC-21

And it looked like this when it came out. It was soft in the middle and just slightly crunchy on the edges. Perfect! It doesn’t get much easier than that.

While it was still warm, we spooned out generous servings of it and added a scoop of ice-cream on the side.

Yum. Yum.

Thanks Ree!

Quick. Easy. Delicious.


Here’s the official recipe:

The Pioneer Woman’s Blackberry Cobbler #1

(this must mean there’s another blackberry cobbler recipe coming soon?)

Ingredients:
1 stick Butter
1-¼ cup Sugar
1 cup Self-Rising Flour
1 cup Milk
2 cups Blackberries (frozen Or Fresh)

Preparation Instructions:
Melt butter in a microwavable dish. Pour 1 cup of sugar and flour into a mixing bowl, whisking in milk. Mix well. Then, pour in melted butter and whisk it all well together. Butter a baking dish.

Now rinse and pat dry the blackberries. Pour the batter into the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle blackberries over the top of the batter; distributing evenly. Sprinkle ¼ cup sugar over the top.

Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until golden and bubbly. If you desire, sprinkle an additional teaspoon of sugar over the cobbler 10 minutes before it’s done.

Enjoy!

13 comments:

Sharon said...

This looks great. Your photos are always so out-of-this-world wonderful!

The recipe looks like something even I could manage. May have to try it!

Susan said...

That looks yummy!! Interesting that she calls it a cobbler, though. In our neck of the woods we would call that a blackberry slump. To me, cobbler is basically just a huge pie in a casserole dish. Lots of crust to soak up all that delicious berry juice.

My veri word is: warms

How appropos.

Sharon said...

Made this recipe last night. SO easy and delicious! thanks for sharing the recipe!

Fannie said...

Oh God this makes me wish I baked! Alas, I am not much of a baker much to my family’s disappointment!

Cindy said...

Thanks Sharon! Pretty simple huh? Did you use frozen or fresh berries? The only fresh berries we have in our yard right now are raspberries. Not sure they'd be the best in a cobbler, but they sure are good in smoothies. This weather has me in a funk!

Cindy said...

Susan, I've never heard of a slump. Pretty sure that's what caused some of my neck and shoulder pain... slumping over my computer.

This cobbler/slump doesn't really have much juice. Its texture is more like bread pudding.

Cindy said...

Fannie, Even if you don't bake you could manage this one... so simple! Easier than pie!

Lisa said...

Looks fantastic! Your photos are so warm and inviting. They really bring out the beauty of the berries.

Cindy said...

Thanks Lisa, I'm looking forward to enjoying some fresh, local berries if and when they arrive around here.

Delwyn said...

Hi Cindy

One of the good things about living in another culture (and believe it or not the US culture is quite different to that of AUS) is trying out all the different foods. My husband picked up a cherry cobbler from the supermarket thinking it was a fruit crumble - quite different. It was very stodgy so I am keen to make your nice fresh one to taste a real cobbler.

Happy day

Six In The Northwest said...

Did you not just love that recipe? I made it as well from her cookbook a few weeks back. I still had some frozen blackberries in the freezer from the stash we pick every summer across the road from our house. It was so quick and so yummy even though it was different from the cobbler I'm used to making. It's a keeper recipe for sure.

Cindy said...

Hi Six, I hadn't noticed this cobbler recipe in The Pioneer Woman's cookbook. I just looked it up and she calls it Patsy's Blackberry Cobbler. Before I made this I always thought cobblers consisted of lots of juicy berries and blobs of dough floating on top. I like this one so much better, and the fact that it's so easy is a plus.

Cindy said...

Hi Delwyn, So how was the store bought cobbler? I'm not sure this cobbler will be the standard of cobblers, but it's very good. Make sure you have it warm with ice cream... yum!