Wednesday, June 30, 2010

raspberry ice cream and a dilemma

raspberry ice cream

The raspberries continue to ripen.

I put some in the ice cream I churned this week.

What goes with raspberry ice cream? Chocolate! Whipped cream!

raspberry ice cream

And a raspberry on top.

raspberries

In case you find yourself with an overabundance of berries this season, here's the recipe:

Raspberry Ice Cream
1 pint fresh ripe raspberries (or any other berries will work)
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup sugar, divided
1 cup half and half
2 cups whipping cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In a small bowl, combine the raspberries with the lemon juice and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Stir gently and allow the berries to macerate in the juices for about two hours. Strain the berries, reserving the juices. Mash half of the berries.

In a mixing bowl, combine the half and half, 1/2 cup of sugar with a hand mixer on low speed, until the sugar is dissolved (a minute or two should do it). Stir in the cream, raspberry juice, mashed berries, and vanilla.

Pour the mixture into the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker and mix for about 20-25 minutes, or until it thickens. Five minutes before the mixing is complete, add the whole berries you’ve reserved.



The dilemma...

I bought this ice cream maker a couple years ago.



It worked great during its first season, but now it doesn't freeze the ingredients like it should. I usually end up with a somewhat soupy consistency when it comes out of the maker, and icy crystals form after freezing it. The texture is not ideal.

So this ice cream tasted delicious, but for me 80 percent of a dessert’s appeal is in its texture.

raspberry ice cream

You can see the little ice crystals that have formed. Bad ice crystals!

I want smooth, creamy texture please!

Does anyone have an ice cream maker they love?

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi Cindy - I just bought a new Cuisinart ice cream freezer at Costco and I love it. It freezes ice creams and sorbets perfectly. And to top it off it came with an extra freezer bowl. I highly recommend it. $39.95.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes - I *adore* mine. It's this one: http://www.cuisinart.com/products/ice_cream/ice-50bc.html

It works like a dream. My complaints? It's HUGE and I have a small kitchen, and so I use it far less frequently than I'd like to.

But the stuff it churns out? FABULOUS.

Now - if only I had raspberries to make ice cream with! Guess I'm gonna have to go hit the u-pick!

Susan said...

I'm weird, I know, but I kind of like the little ice crystals sometimes. But I also love it nice and smooth, too. Heck, I just love ice cream in any way shape or form!

Coincidentally, my Six Word Sunday theme this week is "ice cream". You should play.

Maybe you should try one of the old-fashioned ice cream freezers, only electric, not hand-crank.

Anyhoo, your ice cream looks pretty yummy to me! Too bad you don't live close...you could've brought it over to have with the blackberry cobbler I made today with the blackberries I picked yesterday.

Cindy said...

Cathy, an extra freezer bowl would be very handy to have. You can make double batches. I was at Costco last week, but it was so crazy, I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Cindy said...

knownbyname, that's a serious ice cream maker you've got. I want one!

Fannie said...

The Saint fixes but two things:
Grilled Cheese and Ice Cream. I'll have to check the brand of machine (quite old I think) and get back to you!