Tuesday, December 13, 2011

mini paper bag scrapbooks

121211CH-166

Do you have young kids? Are you a grandparent of young-uns? Looking for handmade gift ideas? Read on...

I have never been a scrapbooker. Photos from the first five years of my daughter’s life were placed into several of those ready-made photo albums. I also have another nine years of photos stashed away in boxes and many digital back-up devices filled with images. I even have one of those great PictureMate personal photo printers that spits out great 4x6 prints perfect for scrapbooking.

When my daughter was younger, I was always looking for gifts she could give to her grandparents, and this idea jumped out at me. It was a perfect project for us to create together.

They were a huge hit! There were even tears of joy from the recipients.

Supplies you’ll need:

(If you have a Michael’s craft store in your area, you can find most of the items there)

• Several smallish colored paper bags (10"x 5.5")

• Several sheets of felt

• Photos

• Sheets of fun patterned paper

• Scrapbook type embellishments

• Ribbons

• Scissors

• Glue

121211CH-159

Directions: Grab four paper bags in various colors (or all the same color if you prefer) and cut the open ends using some fancy shaping scissors.

Fold the bags in half and line up at folds. Glue each open end to a closed end. Glue a long piece of ribbon (about twice as long as the bags or approximately 21") to the entire length of the outside and cover both sides with a sheet of felt. Cut the edges so they overhang slightly to cover the edged of the bags.

Now for the best part. Create scrapbook pages using photos that capture great memories you and your kids have shared with the recipient of this awesome gift.

121211CH-158


We share beach traditions with both Grandmothers. Each Mother’s Day, Isabel and I spend a long weekend with my Mom at the Oregon coast. Each Thanksgiving our family spends a weekend with my Mother-in-law and my husband’s extended family at the beach. Needless to say, both of the books we created were beach themed.

121211CH-156


I like to cut out images and paste them over a background. I just like the look it creates.

121211CH-154


Make sure you fill the pockets of the bags with fun photos or notes too. We added little felt and paper shapes to the edges of the photos so they could slide in the out of the pockets easily.

121211CH-173


121211CH-165


121211CH-155


Have fun!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea!!! This will be perfect for my crew next Christmas, or even for Mother's Day. Love it. Have to share :)

jazgal said...

Lucky gramdmothers!

happygirl said...

Oh my goodness these are cute. Genius. :)

Lisa said...

What a great craft idea! I am always keeping my eye out for interesting books to make. Not only is this cool but it doesn't look that hard. Thanks for sharing!

Cathy said...

What a clever idea, Cindy. I'm going to pass it along to my daughter. She's the crafty one in the family. I hope you and your family have a very happy and blessed Christmas.

Cindy said...

Thank you sweet readers/commenters! Let me know if you make any of these books. I'd love to see pictures!

Sharon said...

Brilliant! This looks like a really fun project!